The Smile – Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood and Tom Skinner, release their brand new single and first material of 2023 ‘Bending Hectic’ today.
Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, the track features strings by London Contemporary Orchestra and was produced by Sam Petts-Davis.
Not featured on any album, the band debuted ‘Bending Hectic’ live last year at Montreux Jazz Festival. Albeit, they haven’t included the track on The Smile (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival, July 2022), the track became a word-of-mouth phenomenon. Fans and critics called for its release, so a year later here it is.
Lyrics: Bending Hectic
I am changing down the gears, I am slamming on the brakes.
A vintage soft top from the 60s
We are coming to a bend now, skidding round a hairpin, a sheer drop down the Italian mountainside.
Time is kind of frozen, you are gazing at the view, and I swear i'm seeing double,
but no-one's gonna bring me down no, no way and no how. I'm letting go of the wheel.
It might be as well
It might be as well
I got these slings I got these arrows i force myself to...
I got these slings I got these arrows i force myself to... turn, turn..
The ground is coming for me now, we've gone over the edge.
If you've got something to say say it now.
No-one's gonna bring me down no, no way and no how.
I'm letting go of the wheel.
Despite these slings despite these arrows i force myself to...
Despite these slings despite these arrows i force myself to. turn, turn..
If you’re yet to indulge in The Smile, be sure to download their debut album, ‘A Light For Attracting Attention.’ Hailed as one of the best albums of 2022 by many critics including writers at New York Times, Pitchfork, Uncut, MOJO, Rough Trade, Billboard, and Consequence.
Tomorrow, the band begin an extensive tour of North America. The Smile will start the 16-dates with their debut performance in Mexico City. After two nights, they will then go on to the United States and Canada, marking The Smile’s first live performances in each city they play. Apart from a return to New York — where they’ll to headline Forest Hills Stadium on July 7th.
For more information or to buy tickets
After the tour, the band will return to the studio to complete new material.
- Full tour dates include:
- 06/21/23 – Mexico City, Mexico – National Auditorium
- 06/22/23 – Mexico City, Mexico – National Auditorium (SOLD OUT)
- 06/25/23 – Austin, TX – ACL Live at The Moody Theater (SOLD OUT)
- 06/26/23 – Austin, TX – ACL Live at The Moody Theater (SOLD OUT)
- 06/29/23 – Miami, FL – James L. Knight Center
- 06/30/23 – St Augustine, FL – The Saint Augustine Amphitheatre
- 07/02/23 – North Charleston, SC – North Charleston Performing Arts Center
- 07/03/23 – Asheville, NC – Thomas Wolfe Auditorium (SOLD OUT)
- 07/05/23 – Richmond, VA – The National (SOLD OUT)
- 07/07/23 – Forest Hills, NY – Forest Hills Stadium
- 07/08/23 – Philadelphia, PA – Franklin Music Hall (SOLD OUT)
- 07/10/23 – Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE
- 07/11/23 – Cleveland, OH – Agora Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
- 07/14/23 – Quebec City – Festival d’été de Québec
- 07/15/23 – Laval, QC – Place Bell
- 07/16/23 – Ottawa, ONT – Bluesfest Festival
- 07/19/23 – Kansas City, MO – Midland Theatre
- 07/20/23 – Chesterfield, MO – The Factory
- 07/21/23 – Chicago, IL – Pitchfork Music
Read more music news in Snacks.